[e2e] Discrete IP

Pars Mutaf pars.mutaf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 01:06:13 PDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

I believe that the next step in IP's evolution would not be IPv6. It would
be "Discrete IP" allowing any IP version.
I concluded that Discrete IP better respects the end-to-end principles
therefore it is economically more viable.

-I propose that we do not touch the core Internet, i.e. enforce the
modification of all Internet routers.
-People should be free to choose the IP version that they wish because
deciding for others is a technology blocker. IETF designs IPv6, IETF blocks
its development. Because IETF does not give freedom of choice. This is not
normal. Some entities may use IPv6 others IPv4 yet others IPv7 for unknown
reasons. Everybody may agree on IPv6, or not. We do not know. We do not
have to.
-To give such freedom of choice, we need to change the end-nodes, for
example TCP.
-This is the end-to-end principle.

Here is a picture (in this picture we have a network of Internets running
random IP versions):
http://htmlimg4.scribdassets.com/3798kx3chs1szfhj/images/4-ce35c39dd1.jpg

The question is:
***Would this be the ideal for the Internet? Please discuss this question
without entering in design challenges.***

For more information, see my unpublished paper:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/105448105/Discrete-IP

Cheers,
Pars