[e2e] Discrete IP

Daniel Havey dhavey at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 07:43:11 PDT 2012

a simple soho-box which may well play
> around with NAT and congestion management and queue
> management and all these funny little things which PhD
> students change the world with, without being noticed by the
> latter.

Hey Detlaf ;^)  How did you guess what I have been doing over the summer?

> > What do you mean by "parallel"? Why do you assume that
> the protocols will be run in "parallel?"

I got this one.  At the core routers the different IPvXs would have to run in parallel.  The header format is different because of address lengths etc.  The router must examine the version number and then act appropriately.  The router must understand the header format of all packets that it will forward.

You have a chicken, and you have an egg.  Why would a company like Cisco build routers that understand IPv7 - IPv42?  They built IPv6 in because they had a solid business reason.  There weren't enough IPv4 addresses.  IPv6 = more customers.  So they built it and then the customers bought it.

Since there are plenty of IPv6 addresses, all that is left to convince the core to change is some random "feature set".  Not a very strong business reason.  They will not build it.

You can change the world, but you cannot change a core router ;^)

...Daniel (PhD student, who is busy changing the world ;^)