[e2e] Discrete IP

Daniel Havey dhavey at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 00:00:26 PDT 2012

Hi Ross,

This is off topic no?

Thanks,

Yes, it is ;^) and school mail systems are horrible.  It's built from squirrel mail and is about as user friendly as an of an angry squirrel.  I would rather be excluded from the list than forced to use such a goofy tool.

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

    > Even better, perhaps professional mailing

lists like this should start
addresses ("@gmail.com",

    > "@yahoo.com", etc.)...

Sigh, much as I basically agree with you, a number of our

serious contributors
also use gmail, etc, these days.

Not to mention the PhD students who wouldn't like to be excluded ;-)

Do these PhD students' schools not have their own domain name? :-)
Note that it's possible to let gmail manage email to/from addresses that use other domain names.  See:http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/tEaJstfhzeI

The problem is not the 'gmail' service per se (provided that you don't mind your email being scanned :-).  The problem is the "@gmail.com" email address suffix, which advertises to the world that you're not particularly relevant.  (Ditto for "@yahoo.com", "@hotmail.com", "@aol.com" addresses, etc.)

	Ross.

--
http://www.content-based-science.org