[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

shun cai vitacaishun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 04:20:47 PDT 2013

Hi£¬

 I found two papers which state that with ideal fountain code,there is
generally no congestion collapse.Efficiency remains higher than 90% for
most network topologiesas long as maximum source rates are less than link
capacity by one or two orders of magnitude. Moreover, a simple fair drop
policy enforcing fair sharing at flow level is sufficient to guarantee 100%
efficiency in all cases. I refer to several papers on the congestion
problem when fountain code is used. [1] [2]

[1] Bonald, T., M. Feuillet, et al. (2009). *Is the''Law of the
Jungle''Sustainable for the Internet?* INFOCOM 2009, IEEE

[2] B. Raghavan and A. Snoeren. Decongestion control. In HOTNETS-V,
2006.