[e2e] How many TCP flows fit in the Internet?

Scheffenegger, Richard rs at netapp.com
Thu Apr 4 07:44:38 PDT 2013

Hi,

> RFC content and the relevant protocol details aren't changed by "errata".
> We generally only pay attention to what's actually specified by the RFC,
> not what some Linux implementer decided might be better.

Actually, they are.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=0793

http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=2018

Also, when one of the lead authors of an RFC publicly (and multiple times) admits that there is a technical issue with an RFC (and not some random implementer), there is probably some meat to it :)

While most errata are editorial or nits, there are a number of technical errata against a number of core tcp RFCs, that an implementer better follows unless he wants to chase bugs in the mechanisms that have been found and fixed a couple of times over (e.g. RFC0793)

And yes, I would also like to see updated RFCs (and the buggy ones obsoleted) when technical errata in the mechanisms are found. However, there is often only limited energy to pursue such an effort (generating a new RFC), and often a filed errata is seen as sufficient.

Best regards,

Richard Scheffenegger