[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Apr 5 14:29:34 PDT 2013

Am 04.04.2013 14:22, schrieb Emmanuel Lochin:
> On 04/04/2013 13:31, Detlef Bosau wrote:
>> Simple question. Where is "fair dropping" that different from "fair
>> queueing"?
>
> The FairDrop queue we have implemented to drive our tests with DCTP
> simply drops packet of the most opportunistic flows in the queue.
> Meaning that if you have 3 flows and a full queue of 30 packets, you
> should have 10 packets of each flow enqueued.

Three flows.

Manu, how do you want to implement fair queueing on a backbone router
with actually 200.000 flows? 150.000 of them being "mice"?

At least this question should be discussed for both kind of approaches,
VJCC and DTCP.

So to my understanding, neither VJCC nor DTCP separates the problem of
resource allocation from the problem of congestion control, nor do they
eventually /solve/ the problem of (fair) resource allocation.

To my understanding, many of us recognize the problem of a missing
(convincing) resource allocation scheme here and replacing VJCC by a
scheme which runs into the same difficulties as VJCC is a bit beating
about the bush.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937