[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Apr 11 04:19:05 PDT 2013

Am 10.04.2013 22:06, schrieb Daniel Havey:

> These are the best kind of samples.  If they are trivial then it will be easier to obtain many of them for statistical significance.

For significance of what?

Do you gather deterministic examples for statistical significance? Or
trivial examples which shall be significant for complex problems?

The most prominent problem in VJCC is that it intertwines scheduling and
congestion control. And while there are well scenarios where this works,
there are well scenarios where VJCC neither provides appropriate
scheduling nor fixes a congestion problem.

> In the face of this, what I don't understand is why this
> thread has gone on for so long.  Surely it should be
> allowed to die, given that the core -- possibly reasonable
> -- concern was long-ago answered.

I think, some reasonable concerns are NOT well answered.

> So I don't understand this.  The so called "bufferbloat" problem is solved in the core?  But pragmatically speaking it still exists?  This wont get me a PhD, but, one has to ask, why?  Does the core drop segments?  Or does it buffer them?

May I speak frankly?

Although VJCC is a wonderful thesis generator, the "buffer bloat
problem" seems to be more a mixture of wrong configuration than a
structural problem, a solution of which would justify a PhD.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau