[e2e] Internet "architecture"

Jon Crowcroft jon.crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 12 07:23:23 PDT 2013

the folks who called it catenet included bob braden who was working at UCL
when i was there - of course, we were concatenating networks that ran other
protocols (Cambridge Ring, X.25 (transport layer relays) and so on...so
perhaps I'm conflating two things - the interconnection of multiple
disprate protocol systems, and the IP interconenction of multiple IP
networks with disparete layer 2 and below....

it is the case (as some other folks privately pointed out to me) that IENs
(including IEN 1 written at UCL) are Internet Experiment Notes, and go back
to mid 1970s, so i'm wrong to say "internet"

however, my point about parsimony is really over compressed - IP trades off
simplicity in the data plane, for complexity in the control plane - its not
a pure trade off (it can be seen partly as a win-win, as signaling
protocols for VC networks can be nearly as complex (or in X.25 and B-ISDN's
Q.2931's cases, more complex) as routing protocols....nevertheless, getting
routing right and all associated components is seriously non-trivial -
other systems (the aforesaid cambridge ring protocol stack) represent a
different trade off that is also quite elegant.

the post-hoc rationalisation phrase is way too glib....certainly not
intended to be rude to people that created this cool stuff we all use - in
fact i was conflating three things

1. a bunch of work fairly recently on optimal protocols and narrow waist of
the hour glass...
2. the ordering of constrints on the design of the internet protocols (as
per dave clarks 88 paper)
and
3. the apparent simplicity of IP - my missing point was that the complexity
pops out somewhere, and that place is in the control plane....as we've
since disovered...

of course, there were people that ran dynamic distributed routing for VC
networks (X.25 for example - we had switches in the JANET network that did
this) so they were even more complex in both data and control plane (what
with crankback etc etc:)

so yes, a bit glib really...sorry

normal service will be resumed as soon as I get my IPTV QoS back :)

j.