[e2e] Internet "architecture"

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Apr 12 10:55:23 PDT 2013

    > From: Dave Crocker <dhc2 at dcrocker.net>

    > When deployed, IP had 32 bits, 4 times its as many as NCP.

As an aside (to correct the record lest someone read it later and take it as
accurate), err, no. That would have been 'short headers', deprecated ca.
1975. 'Long headers' had 8 bits of host, and 12 of IMP (20 bits). (There was
also an 8-bit 'Network' field, but it was unused.)

    > my question is about the integrated system that I meant, by asking
    > after the /architecture/ of the Internet's data exchange fabric.

Well, now I'm completely lost; I thought that's what we were talking about,
in discussing how it introduced a single namespace to cover the entire
collection of networks (namespaces are key to architecture, no?), an
unchanging header across all of them, etc.

So now I have no idea what it is you want.

	Noel