[e2e] VJCC vs. Keshav

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 16 06:18:24 PDT 2013

In missive <516D464F.7090006 at web.de>, Detlef Bosau typed:

 >>I'm curious, why the proposal by Keshav (his PhD thesis on Internet
 >>Congestion Control) was not widely adopted but VJCC instead.

 >>The main difference is that VJCC is purely end to end, while Keshav
 >>proposes schedulers on each node.

 >>Was this decision made for scalability reasons?

"half" the deployment complexity:

keshav's thesis involves changing all routers & all hosts
	all routers have to do RR instead of FIFO
	all hosts have to do packet pair

VJ's scheme just involved hosts
	downloading the BSD TCP update or cloning it for
	irix and the other 2.5 OSs that had m/cs on the internet in 87/88
	was a bit easier, plus this is 5 years before prime time
	commercial ISPs, so you had a chance to run experimental transport
	but still had to be Cisco if you wanted to run experimental
	forwarding/scheduling at scale...

 cheers

   jon