[e2e] VJCC vs. Keshav

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Apr 18 08:05:26 PDT 2013

Am 18.04.2013 14:53, schrieb Jon Crowcroft:
> In missive <516FE1DA.9050708 at web.de>, Detlef Bosau typed:
>
>   >>Yes. And being short and frankly: When it comes to mobile networks, I
>   >>don't believe a word of the packet-pair and packet-train stuff.
>
>   >>Even for the radio interface, it simply doesn't make sense to talk about
>   >>an "average bit rate" in this case, when this is associated with both, a
>   >>reasonable hight throughput and a reasonably low block corruption rate.
>
> this depends on the model and simulator - if you model the signal
> propagation and do it with fine grain enough discrete event rate, then

Jon, I once attended a talk where the speaker proposes to do ray traicing...

And please keep in mind the GEOMETRIC "period" of minima and maxima in
Rayleigh-fading.

IIRC: Rule of thumb: half of the bearer frequencies wavelength. I.e.
with GSM, round abouht 1 GHz, wavelength round about 30 centimetres.

I.e. 15 centimetres between two points of maximum receiving power.

It was exactly that moment, where I stopped giggling about the persons
who I've seen "mobile phone callisthenics" by shifting around their
phones 5 cm to the left or 10 cm to the right in order to increase their
WWW browsers throughput.

And you want to simulate that, perhaps with ray tracing and perhaps a
temporal resolution of say 1 ms and a geometric resolution of say 1 cm?

Sorry, I cannot take this seriously.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937