[e2e] Port numbers in the network layer?

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Wed Apr 24 04:55:54 PDT 2013

After delving into it fairly deeply, it is clear that port-ids are
the crucial piece required for proper (and useful) layer isolation.

Decoupling port allocation from synchronization as indicated by
Watson's work is key in constructing a well-formed layer.  Watson
clearly recognized the importance of distinguishing port-ids (a local
handle) from Connection-endpoint-ids (CEP-ids that are carried in
protocol).

Both the Internet and the OSI Models conflate port allocation and
synchronization and so have one identifier where two are required.
Cleanly distinguishing them has major implications for security.  A
layer without port-ids leads to all sorts of problems, the least of
which are the so-called protocol-id fields to identify the syntax of
the encapsulated header.

Take care,
John