[e2e] Port numbers in the network layer?

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Apr 26 10:29:58 PDT 2013

As Jon indicated the reliability semantics of X.25 were a bit
complicated to some degree by perceived constraints on the economic
desires of its supporters.

Its supporters claimed that it was reliable and therefore a Transport
Protocol was unnecessary. However, X.25 would under certain
conditions do a Reset which would cause the loss of data, which was
not recovered.  This and the degree to which some believed the claims
of reliability lead to OSI Transport Classes 0, 1 and 2.  (Class 0,
was for Study Group VIII and had the minimal placeholder header;'
Class 1 was for Study Group VII, that believed users should pay for
each connection and so did not support multiplexing; and Class 2, for
users of X.25, who didn't want to be charged for every connection and
believed that X.25 was sufficiently reliable that simpler error
recovery could be used as opposed to the full capabilities of a TP4
or TCP (this latter view was in fact incorrect)).

The supporters instead supported an *Application Protocol* called
RTSE (Jon, do you remember the X. number?).  The supporter claimed
that this was a checkpoint recovery-like service for something like
file transfer.  This strategy met the constraints (or at least they
thought so) to let them pursue their economic desires.

However, if one looked at the specifics of the protocol (time
constants, etc.), it was clear that this was a Transport Protocol in
the Application Layer.

Take care,
John