[e2e] Port numbers in the network layer?

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Apr 26 15:30:24 PDT 2013

At 9:32 PM +0200 4/25/13, Detlef Bosau wrote:
>Am 25.04.2013 14:52, schrieb John Day:
>
>>Re: [e2e] Port numbers in the network layer?
>>The question is why is a protocol-id field required in some
>>protocols and not others.
>>
>>If it is to identify the protocol in the layer above, then how many
>>thousand SCTP instances can I identify on top of a single IP
>>instance.  If it identifies the protocol, then that should be
>>possible.  Obviously it isn't what it is intended for.
>>

>So, what is, concisely, the problem and your proposed solution?

Problem?  What problem?  No one suggested there was a problem.

The question was about the distinction between protocol-id fields and
port-ids.  I explained the difference and what the function of the
protocol-id field was as opposed to the purpose of source and
destination port-ids.  It is the case that the protocol-id field does
have the rather disturbing property of requiring an (N)-protocol to
have information about  (N+1)-protocols, while port-ids provide
better isolation.

One of the implications of Watson's work is that port-id and
connection-endpoint-ids should be distinct. This has a number of
benefits.

>Up to know, each individual TCP connection is uniquely identified by
>an address quadruple (node 1, port 1, node 2, port2).
>
>Why doesn't this work?

For what value of "work"? ;-)

The current practice in TCP has certain security problems.  These
stem from the fact that port-ids and connection-endpoint ids are
conflated and the use of well-known ports.   The TCP server must rely
on source port to distinguish connections to a well-known port.  This
is a number it did not generate and can be spoofed and hence creates
a security vulnerability.

>And which solution works better?

Taking the lessons from delta-t noted above and eliminating the need
for well-known ports avoids a number of security vulnerabilities.

see G. Boddapati, L. Chitkushev, J. Day, and I. Matta "Assessing the
Security of a Clean-Slate Internet Architecture," Seventh Workshop on
Secure Network Protocols (NPSec) October 30th, 2012.