[e2e] Port numbers in the network layer?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sat Apr 27 08:24:24 PDT 2013

Am 26.04.2013 21:39, schrieb John Day:
> Re: [e2e] Port numbers in the network layer?
> X.25 does not provide the same reliability that TCP or TP4 does.

What is the difference?

> As Jon described, it is important to note that X.25 is an *interface*
> protocol in the ITU sense of interface.

In Germany, you could order an x.25 connection between site A and site
B. I don't know whether this is still possible, but a few years ago, it was.

To my understanding, from the user's point of view, this was  a reliable
character stream. Is this correct? Or do I miss something?

So, where is the precise difference to what I get, when I use a "Stream
Socket" in Unix?

I'm just trying to figure out the system model used in the congavoid
paper. That's why I'm interested in these things.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau