[e2e] Codel and Wireless

Anirudh Sivaraman sk.anirudh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 18:02:14 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Daniel Havey <dhavey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 4:54 PM, Keith Winstein <keithw at mit.edu> wrote:
> Folks here might be interested -- my colleague Anirudh Sivaraman has done
> some quantitative testing on sfqCoDel (the ns-2 module) vs. CoDel (one
> queue) vs. large DropTail queues (with per-flow queueing), in ns-2 emulation
> of a Verizon LTE link.
>
> Paper, code and replication instructions here:
> http://web.mit.edu/anirudh/www/sdn-data-plane.html
>
> We emulate a commercial LTE link queue, where datagrams arrive at the back
> whenever somebody chooses to send one, and are serviced (and delivered) at
> particular instants if the queue is nonempty. We recorded those instants
> from a real LTE network, by keeping the queue nonempty and then measuring
> when datagrams were delivered to the other side, and then play back the same
> services in emulation. (The same strategy was used in our Sprout work.)
>
> The summary is that we find fq_codel is pretty reasonable overall, but there
> are cases where it suffers considerably on some metrics that may be worth
> knowing about. For instance, the replication dataset includes a case where a
> bulk flow of TCP NewReno gets 12 Mbps over LTE (with a bufferbloated link),
> and only 4.4 Mbps if the LTE link is controlled with fq_codel or codel.
>
> There's also a case where we look at a contending bulk-throughput
> application and a Web-like application going over the same link, and *both*
> workloads end up doing a lot better over the bufferbloated, per-flow-queue
> LTE link than the fq_codel link.
>
> This is with a single real-world trace that was recorded from Verizon's LTE
> network in Boston. I don't think our dataset is sufficient to start making
> claims about whether fq_codel is or isn't good in the real world and whether
> Verizon should implement it on their base station queues (and whether
> Qualcomm should implement it on their baseband LTE modem queues for the
> uplink), but it could be useful as a tool to measure the kinds of properties
> Andrew is talking about without having to implement CoDel on an eNodeB.
>
> AFAIK we haven't explored sweeping the CoDel parameters (the 100ms and the
> 5ms) to see if different values perform better empirically on these traces,
> but maybe we should...
>
> Cheers,
> Keith

CoDel tracks queuing delay on a particular link, not the round trip
time of a connection, which can depend on propagation and transmission
delays on other links as well. Our experiments were run with a 150 ms
minimum RTT, and CoDel is designed for wide area networks where the
minimum RTT routinely exceeds 100 ms.