[e2e] Codel and Wireless

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Dec 5 04:11:55 PST 2013

Daniel,

as you know, GPRS allows 0.95 quantiles for 1024 byte packets up to
about 10 minutes.

And that's the annoying point in this discussion. Perhaps, we should
have a look at the standadards. At least occasionally.

Now: Can't we use GPRS then? No, or better: Obama. Yes We Can! Yes We Can!

Why?

Of course GPRS employs timeouts. However GPRS employs a radio block
protocol which logs the round trip times for radio blocks in a GPRS link.
And as you know further, GSM requires a "Timing Advance" to have all
mobiles send their data timely according to the assigned timeslot and
their is a certain timing advance for the uplink with respect to the
downlink.

(For NSA readers: Feel free to use this information for mobile location
in GSM networks, the German police does so for about 20 years now. You
are welcome to ask for information.)

Hence, at link layer GPRS can successfully work with timeouts - perhaps
not very efficiently because these timeouts perhaps are not even
dynamic, I don't know.

Nevertheless, as soon als you have at least one mobile link in the path,
the end to end delivery time is

NOT
a stationary random process and therefore the use of ARMA or EWMA
filters or what ever does

NOT
render an estimate for the process' limit pdf's expectation.

Or, put in very simple and very drastic words (and dressing myself in my
fire protection suite): The use of EWMA or RTT filters to obtain STT or
RTT values for L 3 packets in paths containing even a single mobile link is

NONSENSE.

(These filters will well provide a number. However, the numbers are of
no use, it's the classical "GIGO" system. Garbage In Garbage Out.)

Admittedly, my intention is absolutely not to focus too much on mobile
networks, because this discussion is as boaring as useless.
For 14 years now, I see two parties: The CS guys who ignore reality and
the reality and CE and EE guys who ignore the CS guys.

I know that this sounds arrogant. However, after dealing with this
matter for 14 years know and heaving read hundreds of papers concerning
this matter, I simply dare the statement: Both, Lixia Zhang and Raj Jain
were correct, when they stated (independently) that timers (and they
discussed e2e timers as used in TCP) simply don't work, so I don't make
a new claim but simply confirm what is known to the community for about
25 years.

And particularly for mobile networks, I talk to colleagues and after the
third mug of coffee the say: I know that it doesn't work, nevertheless I
do it that way.

And perhaps there is some additional fingerpointing to bad
implementations of GPRS or some lousy excuses, however, and please allow
me this word at least for this one moment: Bullshit is Bullshit and
Bullshit remains Bullshit.

Particularly the hope for a "worst case RTT" in wireless networks is
simply ridiculous. And of no interest at all.
Although I personally use to think networks "bottom up", networks are
supposed to be designed top down: The network serves the user, it must
not be the other way round. So it is simply not the question what a
worst case RTT in a network could be - the only question is: What is the
user's requirement?

And sometimes, it requires a brave and tough and strong and wise guy to
tell a user: I'm sorry, but I cannot fulfill your requirements. Or as
you know from the famous RFC: no matter how you push or pull, no matter
which priority your project may have - you cannot increase the speed of
light!

So, when there is at least one "killer argument" (terrible Germish, but
you certainly understand what I mean) against a strict end 2 end
attitude in TCP, this argument is called "timeouts" or "round trip
times" respectively.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937