[e2e] A "Railway Model." Re: Codel and Wireless

Andrew Mcgregor andrewmcgr at google.com
Sat Dec 7 03:11:57 PST 2013

This is hop-by-hop flow control, as implemented with 802.1 pause frames.
 It works, kind of.  But there's a phenomenon called an 'incast pause
cone', in which a single heavily loaded interface can pause an entire data
center fabric.  So it's not a panacea, in fact it has a whole menagerie of
its own congestion issues.  Infiniband also has hop-by-hop control, and has
to be very carefully admission controlled to avoid these issues.  The net
effect is that you cannot use about 30% of the ostensible performance of
any interface in the network, to avoid fabric deadlocks.  Internet-style
congestion control gets better utilisation, which is good if the links are
expensive.

--
Andrew McGregor | SRE | andrewmcgr at google.com | +61 4 8143 7128