[e2e] Codel and Wireless

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Sat Dec 14 17:28:31 PST 2013

Am 14.12.2013 22:11, schrieb Detlef Bosau:
> Am 06.12.2013 15:17, schrieb Detlef Bosau:
>> Why is queueing delay itself is a problem? >From a user's perspective
>> (I take this from time to time), there are two concerns: a) Will the
>> packet reach its destination at all? b) If it does, which time is
>> needed for the travel? Did I miss someting?
> I'm a bit curious, why I got no answer to my question.

In addition: On the one hand, we all praise the "end to end principle".

On the other hand, we know that VJCC (and its flavours) runs into severe
problems with mobile links and LFN as well,  which makes it
inappropriate for generic use, and while we repeat again and again that
only the end nodes can make relevant decisions we subvert the end to end
principle e.g. with any kind of more or less sophisticated queue
management approaches, one of which is CoDel, middle boxes and link
specific technologies. Hence, e2e is likewise a credo - and obsolete as
well.

In a sense, we're odds with ourselves here.

And in the same sense, we run into precisely the logjam, Ford and
Iyengar complained about in 2009 and VJ himself complained about 2006.

We see limits in our congestion handling - and try to overcome these by
repeating the same approaches again and again for about 20 years now.

While at least Ford & Iyengar made steps into a possible direction.
Perhaps, F&I did not provide a silver-bullet solution. However, they
asked questions. (And as I'm told, Lt. Worf from StarTrek TNG uttered in
the episode "The rightful heir" the words: "Questions are the beginning
of wisdom".)

And perhaps, one important question is: Is the e2e principle the correct
approach to prevent congestion control and to provide resource
management (which is basically the same) in packet switching networks?

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                           skype:     detlef.bosau