[e2e] What are the shared resources? Re: Codel and Wireless

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Dec 19 03:04:25 PST 2013

In my opinion, the problem is located in a completely different place -
and in my opinion, we should think about solving it eventually.

The whole TCP congestion control issue, CoDel, AQM etc. are parts of
which, is basically a matter of resource sharing.

Does anyone contradict?

O.k., so we can fix this.

The relevant question is however not only, HOW this resources should be
shared, the question is WHAT the shared resources are!

Since Van Jacobsons paper from 1989, the shared resource is a "latency
throughput product", sometimes even called
(wrongly) "latency bandwidth product". From its physical dimension this
product is a "capacity", regardless, whether there may be actually
several packets on the line at the same time or not (WiFi, CSMA: Only
one packet at a time is possible) or whether the "capacity" is used by
packets and retransmitted data (mobile wireless networks), whathever the
resources are, they are "made" into a "generic resource" "latency
bandwidth product" - which is basically an artifact.

Nevertheless, this artifact is shared.

To my understanding, this abstraction had its justification in the late
80s, where the Internet was basically made up by a number of X.25 lines.

However, I'm absolutely not convinced, that this model holds for the
current structure of computer networks.

Hence, our problem is that we share and manage a "resource" which
actually does not exist but is an (IMHO inappropriate) "generic model"
for what's going on in reality.

Detlef

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30