[e2e] Comparing Linux qdiscs in lab conditions (paper)

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Feb 8 16:35:32 PST 2013

Admittedly, I did not follow the whole discussion in its ramifications.
What I still wonder about, not only in the context of buffer bloat, is
that I frequently find the claim, the "bottleneck" of a TCP flow would
be located on edge routers and not on core routers. And that's the
central point I simply don't buy.

The question may be often asked, but do we really know, where packets
pile up and which routers suffer from buffer bloat? Particularly in the
paper by Van Jacobson and Kathleen Nichols, I find quite some remarks on
CoDel on edge routers. I simply see no sense in placing AQM algorithms
on edge routers. When I, living in Stuttgart, download a huge file from
some server in Boston, it is almost sure that my ADSL router is
definitely not the bottleneck.

Generally, when queues grow too large on core routers, why don't we
manage queues there?

Perhaps, this is a general misconception of mine, however: why don't we
fight buffer bloat where it occurs?

Detlef

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30