[e2e] Comparing Linux qdiscs in lab conditions (paper)

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Feb 13 14:55:43 PST 2013

Am 13.02.2013 21:39, schrieb Joe Touch:

> FWIW, bufferbloat examples I've seen tend to focus on *upload* out of
> the home. As you note, download isn't the issue as much.
>
> Try this:
>     - upload a video to youtube (or anywhere)
>     - ping somewhere else

Now, what will happen? The TCP socket will fully utilize the outgoing
interface's buffer. And the ICMP packet has to enqueue itself at the end
of the queue.

However, this is not a problem of too much buffering. This is a
scheduling problem. Actually, VJCC extends TCP's self/_clocking_ /into a
self/_scheduling_/.

As far as this works at all, it will achieve some kind of "statistically
similar throughput" for greedy sources and long term flows.

However, from the perspective of the ICMP echo request, the whole issue
appears as some kind of head of line blocking. (With numerous heads...)

> That can happen within a single machine (that was the first case I
> heard about, and as anticipated the issue was in-kernel buffering) or
> between two machines (if the home router has too much buffering and
> too little brains to do proportional sharing).

Absolutely. However, this is no issue. What you describe is an IP stack
that "works as designed".

> Less buffering - either in the OS or the router - sometimes helps
> reduce delay because the greedy application backs off (due to losses),
> is scheduled to transmit less often (when on the same machine), or
> simply loses more packets.

I don't think that the described effect is a buffering issue. The
problem is that we intertwined
- congestion control
- ressource sharing
- scheduling

into one complex algorithm - and now, we wonder why the whole thing
works as designed.

And BTW, the congavoid paper only talks about TCP.  I don't remember
that Van Jacobson or Michael Karels talked about "ping fairness" in this
paper.... ;-)

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau
                                            ICQ:          566129673
The nonsense that passes for knowledge around wireless networking,
even taught by "professors of networking" is appalling.  It's the
blind leading the blind. (D.P. Reed, 2012/12/25)