[e2e] How do we deal with mobile networks?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Feb 25 07:13:40 PST 2013

I received some pointers to RS codes and similar on application layer.

First of all: Adding redundancy to a flow on application layer increases
the amount of data which is to be transferred and hence the flow's
resource consumption.

Second: In the particular case of TCP, packet corruption is taken as an
indication for congestion, so we want to avoid packet corruption even if
the lost packet may be recovered from  surrounding packets.

Hence, for TCP, a low packet corruption rate should be provided by the
link layer.

Do I miss something?

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30