[e2e] Why was hop by hop flow control eventually abandonded?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Tue Jul 16 07:13:43 PDT 2013

I'm still to understand this decision. The more I think about it, the
more I fear, that although the decision to abandon hop by hop flow
control (which is still in Vint Cerf's catenet paper but is abandoned in
RFC 791) may be the most seminal generator for PhD theses in the history
of science, on the one hand, however I'm not quite sure whether this was
one of the largest fallacies ever.

Actually, the VJCC kludge turned to be quite successful up to now,
however VJ himself admits some basic limitations in his well known talk
"A New Way to look at Networking".

Does anyone happen to know, whether this was decision for a concrete
reason and the rational behind it? Or did this "simply happen"?

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau