[e2e] TCP ex Machina

Jon Crowcroft jon.crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 22 00:04:30 PDT 2013

Richard Clegg at UCL presented a nice study recently where he has being
trying to fit TCP equations to lots if big packet traces...he found
precious few loss events, and the best explanation appears to be that the
world is made of many zebras and mice....zebras are flows that are
application rate limited...e.g video streaming...mice are flows that just
don't make it out if slow start before they are done...eg web transactions,
social media chat etc...it appears TCP CC is rarely invoked these days......

The other comments I'd make about the Remy thing is that it may be
overfitting (like latterday netflix prize entries)..oh and they need to do
more work on fairness I suppose...

But I still like it