[e2e] TCP ex Machina

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Jul 22 06:01:18 PDT 2013

Am 22.07.2013 02:14, schrieb Keith Winstein:
> Detlef, I'm afraid I don't think your email quite summarized our approach
> accurately. We do not give the optimizer advance information about who
> wants to send what to whom and we don't calculate an optimized "schedule."
> Remy develops rules for a TCP sender; e.g. when to increase the window and
> by how much, when/how to decrease the window, when to enforce a minimum
> interval between outgoing packets (a pacer) and what that interval should
> be.

And I'm absolutely not sure whether it makes sense to increase or to
decrease windows. Van Jacobson himself complains about packets lying in
the network quite clumsy and not being "evenly distributed" along the
path. Stated in an extremely harsh way, this would mean that the concept
of "self scheduling", to which the original self clocking is extended by
VJCC and the like, simply does not hold.

So, we can improve purely endpoint based congestion control algorithms
as much as we want - and perhaps increase the PhD outcome to 100
doctoral hats per year on congestion control, we will meet the same
problems again and again, as we do for about 20 years now.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau