[e2e] TCP ex Machina

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Jul 22 13:23:10 PDT 2013

Am 22.07.2013 08:35, schrieb Fred Baker (fred):
> I'm not sure folks are really concerned about operating boundaries as much as outcomes. In general, and in specific in the words of Nandita Dukkipati and folks like her, I think folks would like to maximize throughput and minimize the

And I'm not sure, that we are maximizing or minimizing anything. The
more complex the formulae will be, the more difficult it will be to make
reality obey them.

Sometimes the belief in an optimum window in TCP resembles the belief in
an optimum amount of money by the monetarism guys.

- We have to share ressources: No problem! Use the optimum window!
- We want to maximize throughput? " " "
- We want to minimze latency? " " "

Perhaps it's a personal attitude of mine at the moment, perhaps I'm
simply tired, but it doesn't matter how complex the question is: The
simple answer is: Use the correct CWND.

(When I was a student I was acquainted to some guys of Campus Crusade
for Christ. They shared the "Four Spiritual Laws" as the only effective
solution for each and anything. Unfortunately, although this has been
more then twenty years ago, I'm still looking for the problem fitting
this solution.)

However, it may be my mood in the moment.

E.g., VJ told us in his famous talk from 2006, that TCP does not work
well in wireless environments when we're moving around.

O.k., this is only seven years ago and my Linux now include an
experimental BIC (I don't know for sure, I never looked particularly for
this), and this doesn't help in wireless environments when I'm moving
around.

Did anything else change? Or do we, to a certain degree, repeat the same
things we repeat for 20 years now?

In the talk from 2006, VJ was afraid that we are stuck in some kind of
deadlock.
This is basically a similar view to that taken by Ford and Iyengar in 2009.

Is there some truth in it?

Detlef

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30