[e2e] TCP ex Machina

Jon Crowcroft jon.crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 24 01:29:37 PDT 2013

the work i was referring to uses the Padhye equation which is not claiming
that TCP is "about equations", but has a multi-regime model of how TCP CC
appears to work (based on code - the difference between C code and
equations is of course a purely academic distinction anyhow).

so taking _actual_ packet traces (lots of them) you can see how many packet
losses and timeouts trigger retransmits, and you can see how the TCP send
windows evolve over time, and correlate these with the distribution of mean
and mean square difference of RTT over large numbers of flows...
this correlation is done by curve/parameter fitting, so you need an
equation with parameters (the padhye one is possibly the best of breed)

and the result was as I said.....

the rest of your response doesn't seem to be about end-to-end research, so
I'll leave that to a more philosophical venue for discussion by people
qualified  to do so (not me)

j.