[e2e] TCP "experiments"

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sat Jul 27 11:36:30 PDT 2013

As those with experience in the product world or
operational world will know, the distinction here
is between research/development and
product/operations.  One never does experiments
with a production network.

There was a time when there was little choice.
The cost of building a network of any size was
astronomical, or at least very high.  So one had
to do experiments on live networks and be as
careful as you could.

Today that is not the case.  An arbitrary network
of several hundred nodes or even a few thousand
is not that big a deal.

Joe has a point.  An production network is no
place to be doing experiments.  In fact, quite
the opposite.   Experiments should be done on
experimental networks.  (to state the opposite.)

Take care,