[e2e] Congestion control as a hot topic in IETF

Scharf, Michael (Michael) michael.scharf at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue Mar 5 04:07:53 PST 2013

> Am 04.03.2013 23:07, schrieb Scharf, Michael (Michael):
> > There has been some interesting research on whether a
> transport protocol could work without any congestion control.
> One reference is: B. Raghavan and A. Snoeren, "Decongestion
> Control", ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks, 2006.
> >
> I remember that you, some years ago, asked whether networking
> can be done without flow control.

My comment is about network designs that typically assume erasure codes and flow-based queueing/scheduling in all network nodes. Actually, it took me a while to fully understand why this is no alternative to the way Internet congestion control works today. But, for what it is worth, I found the overall idea intesting.

Michael