[e2e] congestion control? - (was Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director)

l.wood@surrey.ac.uk l.wood at surrey.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 04:22:50 PST 2013

The problem with the congestion/interference and corruption problem is that error notification does
not percolate up the stack.

If a MAC driver could say 'this frame is corrupt, failed CRC' and that information percolated up the layers into the flow to the endpoints,
TCP or similar might have more to go on. But that information is hard to convey, multiple links may be affected, it gets lost...
first hops benefit most.

in other words, Explicit Corruption Notification would fail for the same reasons that Explicit Congestion Notification does.

And this is presuming that enough of the frame is recoverable to know which higher-layer flow it is associated with reliably, ie
some header check passes, but overall frame check fails so there's a discard, and state is around to signal the right flow.

And to make the header checks pass with a chance of decoding the headers have to  be coded better than the payloads - and
this applies at each layer, recursively. um.

But there's a paucity of cross-layer signalling, and a paucity of higher layers even sanity-checking their header with checksums.
And a paucity of available state to track and associate with flows.

Lloyd Wood
http://sat-net.com/L.Wood/