[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Matt Mathis mattmathis at google.com
Tue Mar 5 09:03:28 PST 2013

There is no disagreement as to the power and importance of statistical
multiplexing and it's need for some e2e congestion control.

It is just that the congestion control problem has be overly
constrained.  In particular I would place simpler requirements on the
end systems (no wasted capacity at high load, so total goodput equals
capacity) and then move some responsibility for the fairness/capacity
allocation problem to the network.

The "simple network, TCP friendly transport" paradigm does not work
for "fair" capacity allocation at scale and for any useful definition
of fair.

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our
services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat
privacy and security as matters of life and death, because for some
users, they are.