[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Wed Mar 6 10:19:15 PST 2013

On 06/03/13 15:02, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> ok - i see your point - this is true if your sources have a peak rate they can send at
>
> this could be the line rate of their uplink  -
> that would be embarrasingly bad
> (see keshav's followup on escalating costs of coding)
> or the rate they can get data off disk (which could be as bad, but might be lower)
> or an application specific rate (e.g. streamed video) for which you're suggestion is
> quite reasonable...
Apologies if this has been mentioned already -- the "blast it out at
full whack and code against loss" strategy is explored in
Is the ''Law of the Jungle'' Sustainable for the Internet? from Infocom
2009.

Nice maths in that paper actually -- I was lucky enough to see them
present it.  The conclusions are interesting.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=5061903

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Dept of Elec. Eng.,