[e2e] Wireless Networks. An Example: GPRS.

Martin Heusse Martin.Heusse at imag.fr
Mon Mar 11 09:12:11 PDT 2013

(Although I would tend to think you might need to read a bit about GPRS and cellular networks, I'll stick to a more general remark, replacing your reflections in an end to end perspective. And forgive me if I misunderstood you.)

A sliding window (congestion window, anticipation window) allows a sender to use the links on a multi hop paths in parallel when the network device are store and forward. So to use a GPRS network properly you need a least 4 packets.
UE -> BSC
-> SGSN
-> GGSN
-> gateway to dest network
Etc.

And that's one way, the return path also count for what's “inflight".
(ok, high speed links don't hurt as much a low speed links beyond the bottleneck, but I hope you get the idea…)

Also: RLC-ack (Is that what you call RLP?) does use ARQ… (Are you happy now? ...) And that actually allows TCP to kind of work on those links.

Martin