[e2e] Why do we need congestion control?

Matt Mathis mattmathis at google.com
Sat Mar 16 18:26:17 PDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Fred Baker (fred) <fred at cisco.com> wrote:
> The IETF has decided that it needs to update RFC 2309,

I'm curious what this means?  Who is "the IETF"?  As far as I am
concerned, the big problem with 2309 (by perhaps 2 order of magnitude)
is that is was ignored, not that it gives bad advice.   While it is
true that today it could give somewhat better advice, that isn't where
the problem lies.

Yes there are still unanswered questions and more opportunity to be
found in the current algorithms, but drop tail is 2 orders of
magnitude worse than any of them.  Anybody shipping droptail today is
ripping off their customers.  period.  We know better.   You know
algorithms that are better, I know you do.

There is no requirement for any standardization either.

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our
services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat
privacy and security as matters of life and death, because for some
users, they are.