[e2e] Congestion control as a hot topic in IETF

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Tue Mar 19 03:08:08 PDT 2013

Am 19.03.2013 00:39, schrieb Detlef Bosau:

> From what you say it becomes clear, that "congestion control" pursues
> at least three goals.
>
> 1.: Stability (in the sense of "no congestion loss").
> 2.: Probing/Tuning (to the knee or to the cliff, that doesn't really
> matter here).
> 3.: Resource sharing / scheduling.
>
> These goals are intertwined, while the first one is the easiest to
> accomplish: Simply obey the conservation principle and you're done.
>
> The interesting issues are the second and the third one.
>
> Particularly for the third one, I'm not quite sure whether we really
> focus on the correct resource here.

O.k., in some private mail, I was told that all these three goals are
wrong, so I conclude that none of the aforementioned points is a goal of
congestion control. Obviously, I did not understand any of the papers
and PhD theses I read through the last decade.

Hence, the remaining question is: Why do we need congestion control?

(My bitter answer is: It's not the question whether we need it. It's the
question why we don't do it. All these probing and dropping approaches
only blow up the original retransmission collapse problem like Lehmann
Brothers blew up our financial system!)

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937