[e2e] Congestion control as a hot topic in IETF

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Mar 20 04:34:37 PDT 2013

Am 20.03.2013 00:06, schrieb Ted Faber:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:37:54PM +0100, Detlef Bosau wrote:
>> However, what you wrote is no contradiction to what I said?
> You're talking about some mechanisms used to solve the problem those
> other folks described.  That isn't a contradiction, but I think you're
> missing the forest for the trees.

Fine.

And so, it is not reasonable to review the purpose of congestion control?

Sometimes, I don't have the impression that I miss the forest for the
trees, but we argue for different forests here.

Forest 1: Stability. (Nearly forgotten, hardly mentioned in many PhD
theses I read throughout the last decade, the only .)

BTW: This forest is quite interesting, because from the system theory
perspective, the often so called "buffer bloat problem" may well be a
stability problem.
(BTW2: This forest is mentioned in the congavoid paper in a footnote - I
strongly suspect this one of the most ignored footnotes in computer
science.)

Forest 2: A reasonable trade off between work conservation on the one
hand and acceptable delay on the other. IIRC this is Raj Jain's forest.

Forest 3: Sharing and allocation of resources. IIRC the most
comprehensive, if to my understanding not that widely accepted, work in
this direction is Keshav's PhD thesis.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937