[e2e] Historical question: Link layer flow control / silent discard

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri May 24 08:34:27 PDT 2013

O.k., perhaps this is for all readers with grey hair (if there is still
hair at all....) and grey beards ;-)

When I read the original catenet work by Cerf, the Catenet employed link
layer flow control.

To my understanding, this was abandoned when the ARPAnet turned into the
Internet (in 1981?). After this change, the link layer flow control was
replaced by a "silent discard" of packets which cannot be accepted for
delivery.

Is this correct?

What was the reason for this decision and have there been any
alternative approaches?

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937