[e2e] Historical question: Link layer flow control / silent discard

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri May 24 14:09:13 PDT 2013

At 1:48 PM -0400 5/24/13, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Detlef Bosau <detlef.bosau at web.de>
>
>First, 'flow control' these days is taken to mean 'end-end' - i.e. the
>original source not sending data faster than the ultimate destination can use
>it. This has always been handled at the tranport layer - in the case of TCP,
>by the TCP window. Rate control based on the ability of the _network_ to
>carry traffic (which is what you seem to be asking about below) is now
>usually called 'congestion control'.

I am sorry Noel, but I have to disagree at least with the attitude.
Flow control can occur at any layer and pretty much has.  The fact
that it may not currently doesn't mean it never will.  This is
precisely how the craft mentality that permeates this field got
started.  One of the things I impress on my students (with examples)
is that old solutions never go away, they return, often with somewhat
different parameters.  At today's data rates, it is unlikely to see
flow control at the data link layer, or elsewhere in between, but who
knows!

And why I define flow control as feedback co-located with the
resource being controlled and congestion control as feedback not
co-located with the resource and try to stay away from the more
vocational definitions.

>I don't recall how carefully we differentiated between the two back then,
>although I am quite sure we already understood the difference.

Yes, it was quite clear at the time that flow control at the data
link layer had a different purpose than flow control at the Transport
layer.  (I should probably qualify that.  At least, it was quite
clear to some people.  I have had a few surprises of late of things
that I thought were quite clear early on and seem to have been
totally missed.)

>     > When I read the original catenet work by Cerf, the Catenet employed
>     > link layer flow control.
>
>I'm not sure that's quite correct: without checking the documents for myself,
>I suspect they would have understood that if the source is connected to
>network A (a fast network), and the next hop is network B (a slow network),
>the link layer flow control on network B would be no use in slowing down the
>host - since it's not connected to network B.

At the very least all of the networks at the time (ARPANET, NPL,
CYCLADES, etc.) used a data link protocol that did retransmission and
flow control.  By the end of the 70s, it was probably disappearing.
IEN#1 (1977) conjectures that ingress flow control at gateways is
probably going to be important.  By this time, quite a lot of
research had been done on congestion control in these kinds of
networks.

Take care,
John