[e2e] Historical question: Link layer flow control / silent discard

Jon Crowcroft jon.crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat May 25 01:45:39 PDT 2013

if by catenet you mean the specific deployed technologies of the arpanet,
milnet, arpa packet radio, satnet, and IPSS, then the answer is
a) no, it didn't specifiy lin layer flow control
but
b) yes, sone of the links had flow control
but
i) its sometimes a bad idea - due to poor interactions between nested
control loops
but
ii) occasionally, it helps, but you have to get quite lucky...

for example, IP over X.25 (treating x.25' layer 3 packet protocol as a link
layer in true cavalier fdashion, as one does), causes weird things to
happen to TCP's end2end behaviour due to the sudden step functions in
measured RTT up and down as the link layer does odd stuff - thi hurt badly
in the UK academic early IP deployments which had to run this way..

on the other hand, there was nice work at bell labs (debasis mitra et al)
that showed you could get optimal traffic distribution in a homogenous
enough network by using link layer flow control to sprad out traffic
load....but it does NOT work in a catenet (or internet) when all the links
are very heterogeneous....youre better off doing multipath and e2e flow
(and congrestion control) -  of course, we don't have much catenet/internet
layer multipath yet, which is a shame as it was in the origianl thinking
and has re-emerged recently with lots of nice results that show it would
benefit in may places (edge, core, and data center nets) - for references
on multipath, see
http://nrg.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mptcp/

but maybe I am just treading on the toes of giants again....
bald and grey

j.