[e2e] Historical question: Link layer flow control / silent discard

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Tue May 28 12:25:55 PDT 2013

Am 28.05.2013 18:51, schrieb Bob Braden:

> So what are the poor OSI devotees, who believe in One Network to Rule
> them All, to do?

The point is: The OSI model is a *reference model*. I apologize, when
I'm carrying cowls to Newcastle here, but it took me sometime to accept
this myself.

There is no need to fit anything into the OSI model and - vice versa -
the OSI model may differ from reality.

Sometimes, things are done twice. That's annoying. Sometimes, things are
missing, then it's a "problem".

> We IETFers are pragmatists, not layer model purists. (as illustrated
> by our lack of
> embarassment about splitting the layers with MPLS, IPsec, TLS, etc.)
> We became careless and smudged over
> the network/internetwork distinction. So, IETFers generally refer to
> the Internetwork layer as the "network layer." Then the Internet
> protocol stack sort of looks like the OSI stack, and there is an
> illusion that the OSI stack has something to do with reality.
>
> If IP is the "network layer" (we are too lazy to say "internetwork
> layer"), then what is the Ethernet? In IP land, it is a subnet(work). But
> for those who believe that IP is really our network layer, then the
> next layer below IP was dubbed  the Link Layer, because it
> seems to correspond to the OSI Data Link Layer. That is the answer to
> your question.

However, we have to make sure that mechanism on the "IP internetworking
layer" and the "Ethernet network layer" do not interfere.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                            mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                            skype:     detlef.bosau