[e2e] Is the end to end paradigm appropriate for congestion control?

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Mon Nov 11 13:59:31 PST 2013

It's interesting that so many people still talk about CSMA/CD as if it
were still real. IEEE 802.3i added a full duplex mode to Ethernet (known
as 10BASE-T) in 1990, and 802.3u (100 BASE-TX) effectively eliminated
the half duplex, CSMA/CD mode for speeds of 100 Mbps and higher on
Ethernet.  The full duplex modes of Ethernet have a flow control signal
that moderates congestion, and on-switch buffers for storage of frames
(either full or partial) in-flight. Nowdays, you only see CSMA on
unlicensed broadcast networks, e. g. Wi-Fi.

You can't effectively manage congestion solely with the knowledge end
points have, but any congestion management scheme needs end point
cooperation since end points are the sources of congestion. The
Internet's congestion problem is insufficient signalling from the
elements that can immediately detect congestion - the switches - back to
the elements that create it. There have been and are efforts to improve
the signalling - ECN and PCN - and there was a botched attempt to deal
with it in the original versions of IP with source quench. The longevity
of the Jacobson CC and efforts to extend its life like AQM are quite
unfortunate.

The problem with end-to-end is the lack of overall system knowledge in
any given end point.

--
Richard Bennett
Visiting Fellow, American Enterprise Institute