[e2e] Question the other way round:

Vimal j.vimal at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 16:12:38 PST 2013

I think it depends on how you define congestion.

For a simple single-link resource, if you define congestion as "long term
utilisation of a link >= capacity" then in some sense we "need" congestion
as we would like to fully utilise the network (i.e., we want utilisation =
capacity).

If you define congestion as "queue build up at all timescales" then
congestion is inevitable at any load > 0 if arrivals are random.

There has been some work on defining the right operating point of the
network for a certain metric.   For instance, it is known (due to Leonard
Kleinrock as far as I can recall) that the "right" operating point for an
M/M/1 queue to optimise the average throughput/delay^r for flows is to
operate it at a point where the expected queue occupancy is exactly r.

I am not a super expert on this topic, so I am attaching references here: