[e2e] Answer to Dave Reed Re: Fwd: Re: Question the other way round:

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Nov 22 13:03:08 PST 2013

David,

two messages ago you wrote:

> We don't actually cause congestion to discover the rate, Jon.
>   Typically, we try to build networks that have adequate capacity
> (factors of 10 or 100 are needed for things like the "Mother's Day"
> effect, or 9/11-scale community need to spread and filter news quickly.)

And this is, excuse me, simply nonsense.

Am 22.11.2013 21:32, schrieb dpreed at reed.com:

> Detlef - you missed my point entirely!  By focusing on the network
> only as the end rather than a means in a larger context you eliminated
> the whole issue of congestion.  Think end-to-end, which means you must
> think about why information is being sent.
>

> You are interpreting the code in Linux/Unix/... as if it were driven
> by an application whose only goal is to transmit data at the fastest
> possible rate, and has no inherent limit, or even an external reason
> to exist.

No. I made a remark on BSD to anticipate a comment like "but in BSD...."

Actually, causing congestion is part of the VJCC congestion handling,
and exactly this is the problem!

> E.g. cat /dev/zero | <some socket>;

Shows what?

Yes: Flow control does work. Or what do I miss?

> Every application I am aware of (and I mean every application other
> than benchmarks run for short periods) has limited needs, driven by
> "pull" style stuff.  Even a file transfer eventually stops.

Even the time eventually ends. And some people even believe, JC (the
other one) will eventually return.

>  A file transfer has no natural rate, but it has a satisfactory rate
> in all cases.

Depends on which requirements you want to satisfy.

> Usually whatever the file size is divided by 100 msec (a human measure).
>

> Enough said?

Perhaps, I didn't follow, what you wanted to say...

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                           skype:     detlef.bosau