[e2e] Once again buffer bloat and CC. Re: A Cute Story. Or: How to talk completely at cross purposes. Re: [ih] When was Go Back N adopted by TCP

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Aug 20 12:01:31 PDT 2014

And in addition, what queue length is concerned, I take the position
(which is similar to DPR's, IIRC) that a router should keep no more than
one packet per flow at a given time, in the general case.

I explicitly state that in wireless scenarios, there might be reasons to
accept longer router queues, particularly in the context of
opportunistic scheduling. But in the general case, the very first step
to be taken is to keep packets out of router queues. I sometimes
observed RTTs by 20 ms or more between Stuttart and Karlsruhe, i,e.
about 60 kilometers.

Perhaps, we have a special "opaque fibre" with reduced speed of light
there. However, I'm not convinced that this RTT is caused by the links
and processcing delays. I would have a look at the memory graveyards
called "router" along the path.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937