[e2e] Lost Layer?

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Mon Feb 10 18:37:49 PST 2014

On 2/10/2014 6:31 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
> I have no idea what a 'network' layer is that is different from what we
> currently call the link layer. Links layers *are* networks (Ethernet,
> SONET, etc.), except when there's no network at all (point-to-point
> links that need no L2).

PS - I disagree that the layer that's missing is the "AS" layer.

If that's what you really want, then you get that using a recursive
network layer - e.g., LISP.

The result is precisely what happens if you add a true networking layer
below IP but above ethernet. And it includes the baggage that it should
- of cross-domain resolution for encapsulation.

See http://www.isi.edu/rna/

Joe