[e2e] Lost Layer?

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Tue Feb 11 06:56:58 PST 2014

On 2/10/2014 8:11 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > I don't at all understand the difference between a "network layer" and
>      > an "internetwork layer".
>
> ATM stuff, etc = 'network layer'. (Or, reaching further back, ARPANET stuff.)

The Internet docs call that a subnetwork layer, which is RFC-speak for
what the ISO calls the link layer.

> IPvN = 'internetwork layer'.

Which is what ISO calls the network layer, which is why I map the two as
equal.

You can argue that the ISO link layer is the Internet "network" layer,
but that's not what the Internet specs call that layer.

Joe