[e2e] Why don't we talk about segments/objects instaead of layers? Re: Lost Layer?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Feb 17 18:15:10 PST 2014

Am 17.02.2014 14:22, schrieb Djamel Sadok:

> It all depends on the scope of the problem. Within a domain for example,
> instead of throttling sources for example, a path computation element would
> offer a better solution as it can control/orchestrate the lighpaths. The
> situation gets out of hand when inter-domain management is involved.
>
> Djamel
What is "interdomain management" here?

The telephone system worked with path computaton, multimedia systems
work with path computation. Hence, path computation is obviously possible.

The central question is what we want to achieve at all. And when we want
to achieve proper resource management in TCP flows,
the very first step is to identify, which resources are shared and who
are the competing flows.

In my opinion, our actual system model is oversimplified and hence we
end up in a sequence of kludges here.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937