[e2e] A note on entropy Re: Are our models correct? Re: Just a very quick remark on system theory Re: Why don't we talk about segments/objects instaead of layers? Re: Lost Layer?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Feb 21 13:22:34 PST 2014

Am 21.02.2014 18:10, schrieb Andrew Mcgregor:
> You didn't read the paper I was pointing you at then.  It models the
> window, and all the timers, and includes provision for cwnd clamping and
> various other optional features of TCP.
>
> The limitations you point out are indeed things that happen in naiive
> models.  Not all models are that naiive.
Where I run into trouble with the paper you pointed to is the non
decreasing level of entropy in closed systems.

I think the model of Hui is a quite straight forward interpretation of
VJCC.

However, I encountered the most severe problems with wireless networks
where you will fail to interpret the propagation of information as a
"transport" of energy which is continuously conveyed between buffers /
increasing the level of entropy.

Perhaps the most important lesson I learned during the past 14 years is
that there is no reasonable way to model mobile networks.

Meanwhile, I think it is not even necessary to "model" links from a
congestion control perspective to model links for a simple reason:
Congestion does not occur on a link but on switching nodes.
So the idea is to focus on the nodes - and not primarily on the links
(which are reasonably dealt with by schedulers.)