[e2e] A note on entropy Re: Are our models correct? Re: Just a very quick remark on system theory Re: Why don't we talk about segments/objects instaead of layers? Re: Lost Layer?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Feb 21 15:13:10 PST 2014

Am 21.02.2014 23:01, schrieb Andrew Mcgregor:
> You still need a model of the link's distribution of forwarding, to
> allow any useful end-to-end conclusions.

For conclusions you may be right.

However, the question is whether we inevitably need it for decisons.

>  That can be done, but of course those distributions are often fairly
> pathological for wireless links.

;-)

That's the point. And even more: They are sometimes hardly reproducible.

Perhaps, I should make a difference here between conclusions and
decisions. (Once again, I refer to Nagle's algorithm. The rational
behind his "decision algorithm", i.e. when a packet smaller than MSS may
be sent, is quite interesting here. There is a decision to be made -
without any knowledge about the source or a links possible throughput.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                           skype:     detlef.bosau